This is a device which records the electrical activity (ECG) of your heart, usually over a 7-day period. Connection of the device takes approximately 20 minutes.
On the day of the test
- You may be required to have a baseline ECG test done before you are fitted with the Event Monitor.
- Do not use body lotion on your chest or wear neck chains.
- Please wear a 2 piece outfit.
Connection of the device
- Adhesive electrodes are to be placed on the chest (men may need some hair shaved).
- A small recording device will be worn across the shoulder or around the waist.
During the monitoring period
- If you experience any symptoms, (even if they are brief or slight) you should press the EVENT button on the machine and make a note of the symptoms in a special diary which will be given to you.
- If you have any difficulties with the equipment or feel it may have been dislodged, please notify the office on 9389 8658.
- Please DO NOT tamper with the battery as this may erase data from the device.
- Do not sleep on a switched on electric blanket – this will interfere with the ECG recording.
- Go about your normal daily activities throughout the testing period.
After the monitoring period
- The equipment and symptom diary must be returned at a specific time (usually your scheduled appointment the following week).
- A full report will be sent to your referring Doctor after the results have been reviewed by a Cardiologist.